GDSN 101: Everything You Need to Know About GDSN
Global Data Synchronization Network established in 2004, is a GDSN distributed system of independent, interoperable data pools all connected to the GS1 Global Registry ®
The. GDSN enables retailers and suppliers to have accurate, real-time supply chain data.
- GS1 Global Registry
The GS1 Global Registry is the GDSN's "yellow pages directory" that,
- Provides information for subscription sharing
- Enables data pool interoperability Guarantees uniqueness of the registered items and parties
- Ensures all data pools in the network are complying with a common set of validation rules that support GDSN data integrity
- Holds information on who subscribed to trade items or party data using Global Location Numbers (GLN), Global Trade Identification Numbers (GTIN), Global Product Classifications (GPC), and Target Market (TM) as identifiers
Data pools must pass the GS1 GDSN Interoperability Tests for mandatory functionality as contained in the GDSN Certification Event process. Each certified data pool must maintain production level connections to all other certified data pools, post-certification. This will help ensure a fully interoperable GDSN landscape to meet the business needs of retailers and manufacturers globally.
- Global Location Number (GLN)
A GLN is unique entity identification for use in the GS1 system based on a company’s EAN.UCC company prefix.
- It is a 13-digit number.
- All data sources and data recipients must have a GLN to operate in the GDSN.
- Global Trade Item Number (GTIN)
A GTIN is a unique product ID based on an EAN.UCC number that identifies a specific product at a specific level of packaging, examples: Each, Carton, Pallet
The GTIN facilitates separate item records for each packaging is the supplier’s standard packaging standard EAN.UCC bar code label. level and of packaging for the same product IF IF each level of packaging contains a separate
- Global Product Classification (GPC)
GPC is a product category/class system used by GS1 to ensure each product is classified uniformly everywhere in the world.
The GPC provides trading partners with a common way to classify and group their products using a multi-level hierarchy.
- Trading Partner Agreement (TPA)
The TPA ensures protection for the Data Source (supplier) data throughout the GDSN It acknowledges that the Data Source owns the data It provides legal protection and remedies to the Data source if the data is passed to any other entity other than the Data Source’s authorized and designated Data Recipient(s) Every entity in the GDSN has to sign the TPA
- Target Market (TM)
TM is a country identifier indicating where the item will be sold.
This is required because some products sold in different have unique product differences for the specific TM(s). countries use the same bar codes but have unique product differences for the specific TM(s).
- GDSN Digital Content
GS1 Image Standards & systems
Marketing & FS Image Specifications
Planogram Image Specifications
Image File Naming Convention
GDSN uses URL tags in the GTIN record to deliver digital content such as Images, PDFs Documents, Videos, Logos
URL Tags: The most Accurate & efficient digital content delivery method
- GS1 Data Quality Framework
GDSN uses the GS1 Data Quality Framework which forces current, complete, correct data,
- GS1 standard attributes definitions
- GS1 standard attribute values
- GDSN automated validation rules
- GDS Network forces data validation
- GDSN data record changes are time-stamped & transmissions
The Benefits of GDSN
Data Recipients: Updated product offering data sync enforces accuracy
Suppliers: Develop GS1 quality SSOT, gain added online listing
- 1 to many solutions
As GDSN grows it benefits demand & supply
- Global Standards:
Global network. Uses GS1 global standards, 46 data pools
- GTIN-Based Records
The single data record for each level of packaging for the same item
- Data Accuracy
GS1 Data Quality Framework forces accuracy in the GDSN
- Data Synchronization
Always on the same page as your supplier
Ready to find out more about Commport GDSN Solution?
Drop us a line today for a free quote!
Download GDSN 101 Guide For Free
Drop us a line today for a free quote!