EDI 210-Motor Carrier Details and Invoice
The EDI 210 - Motor Carrier Freight Details and Invoice is a type of electronic data interchange transaction set, which replaces a paper invoice and is used by commercial truckers and other freight carriers. It is most often sent from the carrier to a shipper, consignee, or third-party payment center for payment of freight charges.
What is EDI 210
An EDI 210 is a type of electronic data interchange transaction set, which replaces a paper invoice and is used by commercial truckers and other freight carriers. It is most often sent from the carrier to a shipper, consignee, or third-party payment center for payment of freight charges.
The EDI 210 is transmitted to the transportation provider by the shipper. After the 210 is received, a 997 Functional Acknowledgement is sent back from the transportation provider indicating that the Motor Carrier Freight Details and Invoice were successfully received.
This electronic document complies with the ANSI X12 EDI specification.
Benefits of EDI 210
All EDI documents are securely encrypted in transit, allowing trading partners to send sensitive data safely. Benefits of the EDI 210 can include:
- Eliminate the costs associated with the use of paper documents.
- Minimize the labor cost performing daily redundant data entry operations.
- Save time and increase of employee’s productivity.
- Reduce errors due to manual data entry.
- For motor carrier companies, using EDI 210 can speed up the billing process, allowing them to get paid much faster by their business partners
- For shippers, EDI 210 provides a clear and accurate view of costs, helping to effectively plan a company’s finances.
How is an EDI 210 Used?
EDI 210 Segments
EDI 210 Segments
The EDI 210 transaction includes:
- Invoice date and number
- Order details (items, quantities, and weights etc.)
- Payment terms
- Method of shipment
- Shipper name and address information
- Carrier information
- Delivery information (proof of delivery, tracking numbers, etc.)
EDI 210 Specifications
This X12 Transaction Set contains the format and establishes the data contents of the Motor Carrier Freight Details and Invoice Transaction Set for use within the context of an EDI environment. The transaction set can be used to provide detailed information for charges for services rendered by a motor carrier. It is used both as a motor carrier invoice to request payment or as information details pertaining to motor freight shipment(s) charges.
ANSI ASC X12
The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) chartered the Accredited Standards Committee (ASC) X12 to develop uniform standards for inter-industry electronic exchange of business transactions, namely electronic data interchange. ASC X12 also contributes to UN/EDIFACT messages that are used widely outside of the United States. Accredited Standards Committee X12. ASC X12 Standard https://x12.org/index.php/products/transaction-sets
Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) is defined as the electronic communication process for exchanging data amongst trading partners without human intervention. Simply put, EDI provides a technical basis for commercial “conversations” between two entities, either internal or external.
EDI encompasses the entire electronic communication process including:
- Message Flow
- Document Format
- Software Used to Interpret Documents
An Integrated EDI solution translates your inbound documents, like purchase orders, from your trading partners’ EDI files into a format that can be imported directly into your ERP, accounting or other business system.
When you’re ready to send out invoices, PO acknowledgments or other outbound documents, it takes the format exported from your system and translates it into the EDI formats required by your trading partners.
Commport’s Integrated EDI solution has no complicated or expensive software to install, and no need for you to be an EDI
expert or create your own mappings
The solution grows easily as your business grows and adding new customers is easy.
Translation is fast and reliable – so you can focus on your business
Key Features of Commport's Integrated EDI
- Documents flow into and out of your business system without any human interaction.
- Commport handles all of the ‘EDI’ work.
- No delays between your customer sending an order and you receiving it.
- Reduce manual effort
- Eliminate errors
- Improve cash flow